Does life sometimes get you down? Frustrated? Do you sometimes feel trapped? Wondering if this is all there is? Maybe all you need is to be a little more like Moe.
That’s right. You know who I’m talking about. I mean, c’mon! How many people are instantly identifiable by their first name alone? Oprah? Geraldo? Elvis?
Even if you can’t stand The Three Stooges, and a LOT of people, mostly women, can’t (why is that?), you still know exactly who Moe is. His image pops right into your mind! That’s a pretty big accomplishment!
Not many people can claim to be considered true originals. Moe was certainly a true original.
- Have you ever seen anyone else (other than the early era Beatles) with that distinctive, “straight across the brow” haircut?
- And how about his signature move, the eye-poke? No one’s had the nerve to try to pull that ever since my little brother nearly gouged out my eyes in 1963.
- And more than even Don Rickles, Moe was the King of the Insult! Have you ever heard anyone use these? Lunkhead, porkeypine, weasel, chucklehead, skinny rat, hot airedale, big lummox, dumb cluck, and chowderhead?
And Moe was Growing Bolder decades before it became so cool to do so! The evidence can be found in nearly every episode.
- Moe always wore a suit. And a nice hat. He always believed in looking his best.
- He always used good manners, lifting his pinkies while slurping his soup and using the proper knife to eat his peas.
- He was always looking to better himself, either looking for a new job, trying to get rich, searching for a new relationship or simply trying to get ahead in the world.
- He was always an encourager, the ultimate enabler, imploring his pals, Larry and Curly to do their best, and to exceed expectations.
But ultimately, Moe Howard never stopped trying. He never stopped believing. He never stopped hoping that success was right around the corner. He never gave up on any situation, no matter how dire.
Maybe we all could use a little Moe Howard in our own lives.
What? It’s a terrible idea? Why, I oughta…! Speak for yourself, you numbskull!
Oh, I guess I see what you mean. Moe did have his issues. Anyway, the whole point of this is simply to wish Moe a happy birthday. He was born on June 19th, 1897. That would make him 117 years old today! And you know what? We all still know who he is! And that’s not an easy thing to pull off. So, happy birthday, Moe! Looks like you turned out to be a pretty big success after all! And thanks for the inspiration.
Because if Moe could find a way to start Growing Bolder so can you! One word of warning, just watch it with the eye-pokes, will ya?